Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Crap on a Hot Tin Roof


So my trip to the theater left a little something to be desired. I have a feeling this entry’s title tells you all you need to know about the quality of the high school’s production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I expected to find a bunch of pubescents running around with taped on beards shouting lines way beyond their maturity levels, but I didn’t expect them to be so clueless about what they were saying. I really think the material was way too difficult for them, or perhaps just not adequately explained.

Needless to say, I had a hard time critiquing the play and for several reasons. First off, I had a sneaking suspicion the director thought it was brilliant, and I didn’t want to insult him or shatter his worldview by telling him the earth was indeed round. Secondly, the kids are competing on Thursday, and I didn’t see how helpful, much less palatable, a hot order of scathing criticism would be this close to their event. So I did try to “sandwich” my comments with praise. I feel bad for the kids, as they’ve obviously worked hard on their show. I guess I don’t feel that bad, though. Otherwise there’d be no drawing of rooftop-cooking feces ala Microsoft Paint on my blog. Oh, the special place in Hell awaiting me.

Seriously, though, I’m beginning to wonder how much of teaching will involve supplying kids with praise that is entirely unearned in order to not completely shatter their senses of self? And is this really doing them a favor? No wonder we have a whole generation of kids running around thinking they’re the cat’s pajamas. It’s really difficult to look at them in the face and candidly inform them of the vastness of their sucktitude.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous that you had the opportunity to crush those kids' dreams. You have all the fun!