Thursday, March 6, 2008

I CAN HAZ ONION RINGS?


So my dad brought home Charlie’s last night. Charlie’s is a steakhouse in Seminole that is more known for its killer onion rings than its steaks, emphasis on the word killer. Those of you familiar with my dog-parenting style know I’m a little overprotective. Well, this overprotective-ness came in handy last night when Muppet managed to eat each and every last onion ring while the rest of the family was occupied. My parents gave me the same line everyone gives me: “She’s just a dog. Dogs eat everything. She’ll be fine.” Thankfully, I remembered some previous research I did on food poisonous to dogs, and I knew that onions were right up there with chocolate. I’m even more grateful that there was a vet on call in Denver City—20 miles from here—who was able to confirm my suspicions and justify to my "she’ll be fine" parents that a trip to the doggy emergency room was necessary.

My mom and I made it to Denver City in about 10 minutes, and about 50 minutes to an hour after ingestion, Muppet’s stomach was pumped clean. I caught a glimpse of the battered culprit on a surgical table when they opened the door to release her. The rings, in all their regurgitated glory, were in a tangled mass about the size of a bowling ball. The worst part of the whole night was seeing Muppet after the procedure. They’d drugged her, and she came wobbling out of the room, eyes red and vomit all over her face. What’s worse was her trembling. If I ever get my Asian baby, it is not allowed to get sick. Too much trauma, thank you.

Muppet’s prognosis is good. The vet “highly doubts” that any onions were digested. We should know in about four to five days when she either continues to live or drops dead of hemolytic anemia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww ben, that is no good. Muppet, please try not to scare your daddy like this again. "Best father of the week" award goes to you though! I know what you mean about not liking to see your pets drugged. After Mia got spaid, she was wobbily and slept a lot, and i assumed the role of concerned parent very naturally as it sounds like you have. Muppet will be back to normal, tending to the farm in no time!

Anonymous said...

Whoa, I'm glad she's alright. That is really scary. Did I tell you about the time Shelby had an allergic reaction to a bee sting? I could never have my own pet, too scary.