Sunday, April 13, 2008

Behold! A Bloggy Bloggy Picture Post

Part One: The latest acquisition of the Two Neds' Garage aka My Dad's Playhouse: A 1978 Cadillac El Dorado.

The thing is over 20 ft. long, and it's named the "Beulah Mae" after the dead woman whose son Dad bought it from. Ms Mae only put a few thousand miles on it during a cross-country trip, then parked it in her garage, covered it with a quilt, and let it sit that way for the next three decades.


It's hideously pimptastic, but it is supposed to fetch a pretty decent resale price considering its mint condition.

My favorite parts of the car are its working 8-track deck--it's got a "contemporary music" tape with the Godfather theme on it--and CB radio handset.




Part Two: Odds and ends from the trip to Canton and Denton.

Canton has grown sad. Crafts and misc. junk are now outnumbering the antiques. There were a few neat metal animal sculptures, though. Most were whimsical enough. My favorite is the pig who looks like it's in the middle of a number two.



But a few looked like they'd just left Mount Doom and were merrily on their way to wage war on human and hobbit kind.


I did manage to find a few treasures during the weekend, although most were from a single store in Denton's town square.

John bought me the little bird pictured below. I've got a strange penchant for anything made of blue glass, but I've wanted one of these for years. My great-grandmother had a set that I loved. They're now the property of my grandmother, and will no doubt have to live through many other deaths before they're safe in my hands. Thankfully, I have my own now, and I will not have to anxiously await the passings of aunts and uncles before I can get my greedy hands on one. The bird(s) is called the Bluebird of Happiness. So, naturally, I caged it.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love CB radios! I used to have one, and it's worth hours of entertainment each day. That has to be the coolest car ever made.

I wonder if you Apple has come up with an iBird yet? You could plug it into the bird's butt, and it would chirp away. That would be nice.